â€œEU readies action plan to counter Russian media â€˜disinformationâ€™â€ says RT.com Thursday, referring to leaked documents. My â€œanti-disinformationâ€ paper Dagens Nyheter obviously intercepted the leak and started the counter-attack already on Wednesday. They didnâ€™t assign their sharpest pen for the task so the different lines of thought in his article were not necessarily consistent with one another.
The brave thinker had incidentally found one brilliant crux in the apparent success for Russian propagandists, who namely have discovered the weak spot in western societies: our inclination for the postmodern fantasy that there are no facts, just different narratives. That the absolute truth belongs with western media is obviously an axiom and was not even mentioned. Instead a number of Russian false narratives were lined up. Some examples:
Itâ€™s a lie that Russia didn’t plan the occupation of Crimea. It’s a lie that Russian regular troops havenâ€™t been commanded to fight in Ukraine. Itâ€™s a lie that the Kiev government ordered the shoot-down of the Malaysian passenger plane. And the scribbler is apparently cocksure that he owns the truth, though he has not a shred of evidence to support it with. He doesn’t even suggest that there is any need whatsoever to supply evidence, or even reasonable arguments.
And this is the centerÂ of the real postmodern fog we move around in:
– We â€œare convinced at heartâ€ that Putin has evil intentions.
– We â€œknowâ€ that Russia is waging a war of aggression on Ukraine.
– We â€œare certainâ€ that Putin and Russian media are lying about probably all crucial events.
– It took the Swedish foreign minister two hours to definitely â€œestablishâ€ that MH17 was shot down by pro-Russian rebels assisted by Russians.
– Although a steadily increasing number of factors point at the Ukrainian Air Force as the perpetrator, itâ€™s still â€œself evidentâ€ that the Russians are to blame.
– Itâ€™s â€œof courseâ€ Putin that lies behind the killings of Nemtsov and the other journalists who met the same fate.
– And if it isn’t Putin personally itâ€™s his â€œspiritâ€, and therefor â€œhis name will forever be tied to these murdersâ€ as another journalist in the same paper put it.
With their almost pathological capacity of self-justification our journalists cannot even dream of having to prove anything of what they claim. And conversely itâ€™s presupposed that everything that â€œthe enemyâ€ says is a lie, sometimes even when proof is evident.
But the main strategy of monitoring the â€œtruthâ€ in western media is to avoid, repress or silence everything that speaks in favor of â€œthe enemyâ€, but the more meticulously sort out and magnify every little enemy aberration to be found.
â€œWe are the truth!â€ is our media credo (with divine inspiration); donâ€™t have us provide any proof of what we claim!
The author I’ve mentioned had the guts to call on – everybody else supposedly – to â€œpursue the truthâ€ as a means to counter the Russian â€œInformation warâ€!!
At this point I just had to go for a walk in the sunshine.